[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 13 20:26:46 AST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Paul Boudreau wrote:

[not a lot in comparison to how much was quoted]

> And...can someone tell me why Ximian was sold for,
> what I heard was $50 million when all they ever did

Terms were not disclosed, but your figures aren't particularly accurate.

> was add a few icons, a mail/pim client and some odds
> and ends to a free desktop environment (Gnome) that
> half the stuff doesn't work right in anyways.

Because they also wrote Mono. Also there's Red Carpet
Enterprise for machine management (which you might think of as Zen for
Linux, after a fashion). RCE is fairly integral to NNLS, as well.

> You mention funding for research and the like, but how
> much of that money goes to new development, come on.

Well, I'm not quite following your argument here, but in Ximian's case the
money is being used for (amongst other things) new offices in Cambridge,
and buying new computers. The developers at Ximian bought all their own
machines out of their own money, after all (I heard that from the guy who
orchestrated the deal, but it's also corroborated on nat.org). It's going
to pay for continued development on Mono, Gnome, and paying for Nat and
Miguel to come up with stuff (have you ever checked into how much stuff
Miguel has done? You'll be surprised).

> It's becoming all about lawyers now (those bastards).

Only if you have tunnel vision and an axe to grind.

Cheers... Dop.