[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Sat Mar 13 20:12:50 AST 2004

Ok, my numbers were way off, but it was definetly 3M.

http://www.smartmoney.com/magportfolios/funds/index.cfm?story=fund-september2001-eight

"WITH NO PROMPTING Robert Unger can pinpoint the date the stock market
went completely nuts: March 2, 2000, or as he calls it, "Palm Thursday."
On that day hand-held computer maker Palm (PALM) went public. By the
market's close the stock had soared 150%, giving Palm a market
capitalization of $53 billion --- more than even McDonald's (MCD)."

I suspect whatever it was, was a temporary effect, somehow related to
their IPO.

3M acquired Palm in 97, but they didn't have their IPO until 2000, so I
suspect speculation about the IPO in the beginning of the "tech-bubble"
lead to "value" of Palm being estimated extremely high, higher than that
of 3M.

I tried quickly to find the article I read about this, but no luck. Not
suprising, since this was over a year ago, and in print ; )

Jason