[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Sat Mar 13 16:27:42 AST 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 01:45:30PM -0400, Paul Boudreau wrote:

> I stick to my guns, Slackware is 15% of the Linux market
> and am quite sure that they are people doing some quite
> interesting things with it, just because you don't know
> about them doesn't mean they don't exist.

What's the source of your linux market (userbase)? I'm
curious to look at it.

> As far as the debate of what is free and what isn't, and

Free Software is pretty well defined, and so is Open Source(tm)
Software (www.opensource.org). So that's not up for debate really.

> position to be totally against people making money, it's
> just that after so many years of not having any, I've
> developed a <healthy/unhealthy> contempt for it, and
> those who promote it as the answer to all problems.

I made no claim that it is the answer to all problems, and
in fact I was trying to refute your criticism of Red Hat Inc.
and SuSE Inc. that they are not free/open source software
because they offer software, typically with a service contract
or support subscription, for a fee.

> And...can someone tell me why Ximian was sold for,
> what I heard was $50 million when all they ever did
> was add a few icons, a mail/pim client and some odds
> and ends to a free desktop environment (Gnome) that
> half the stuff doesn't work right in anyways.

Valuation of a company is a complex thing I certainly
don't understand, but I can tell you it includes not
only the tangile assets of the company (things like
the computers its owns), but the intangile assets like
any patents or copyrights (i.e. software they wrote) and
then there are things like revenue stream (expected number
of contracts to be renewed for how much), income potential
(e.g. leader in making high-quality desktop software for
growing Linux corporate market), and even the skills and
knowledge of their current staff (and 'famous' employees
sometime have to sign new contracts to stay for so long).

Somebody would normally pay $50 million dollars for
Ximian simply if they expect they can make a _profit_ from
controlling the company and its assets.

> You mention funding for research and the like, but how
> much of that money goes to new development, come on.
> It's becoming all about lawyers now (those bastards).

Companies like Red Hat Inc., Suse, SGI, HP, Intel, and IBM spend
more on developers create free/open software (or drivers) for Linux
than fighting Linux related legal battles.