[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Sat Mar 13 14:53:23 AST 2004

> I stick to my guns, Slackware is 15% of the Linux market
> and am quite sure that they are people doing some quite
> interesting things with it, just because you don't know
> about them doesn't mean they don't exist.
> As far as the debate of what is free and what isn't, and
> who are the good guys and the bad guys, it's not my
> position to be totally against people making money, it's
> just that after so many years of not having any, I've
> developed a <healthy/unhealthy> contempt for it, and
> those who promote it as the answer to all problems.
> And...can someone tell me why Ximian was sold for,
> what I heard was $50 million when all they ever did
> was add a few icons, a mail/pim client and some odds
> and ends to a free desktop environment (Gnome) that
> half the stuff doesn't work right in anyways.
> You mention funding for research and the like, but how
> much of that money goes to new development, come on.
> It's becoming all about lawyers now (those bastards).

$50 Million is really nothing (the two Israeli guys who made ICQ sold it
to AOL for $80 million I think). Something is worth whatever someone is
willing to pay for it. I've heard engineering horror stories from
people who went to work in US about this. The first question anybody ever
asks is not "will it work?", "is it safe?", "can we actually build it?".

The only one that matters is "what can we sell it for?".

On Slackware, I don't think it was ever intended to be used for large
organizations. It was meant to have a bare-bones approach to anything. The
rc file that starts everything up is still just one file, isn't it?

Most of the people I've heard who use Slackware do it specifically because
they're forced to do things on their own. They want to learn more about
"how linux works". I know some other people who use it because it's bare
bones, that way they can customize it as easily as possible.

Jason