[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Paul Boudreau pbx at eastlink.ca
Sat Mar 13 13:45:30 AST 2004

M Taylor wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:59:41AM -0400, Paul Boudreau wrote:
>

>>I'm just glad that we have a choice of numerous versions
>>of Linux, all of which do some things better than others.
>>In a world of "Free" software where SuSE sells for $250
>>million U.S., and Red Hat is a billion dollar company and
>>Oracle and IBM are spending wads of money, I find it
>>

>Free as in freedom, not as in cheap-skate.
><http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/philosophy.html>
>
>"Selling Free Software Can Be OK!"
><http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/selling.html>
>
>Red Hat Inc. and SuSE Inc. fund a lot of development of key GNU/Linux
>system software including the linux kernel, XFree86 (and freedesktop.org),
>the autotools, GCC suite, rpm, Cygwin, bzip2, glibc (GNU libc), various HA
>components, KDE, GNOME, and likely dozens more (I suspect but am not
>certain about Apache and Samba). Perhaps you also missed the XFS, JFS,
>and High Availability (HA) components that IBM and SGI has released as
>Open Source and/or Free Software.
>

>>refreshing that Slackware has never sold out and remain
>>true to the spirit of the whole thing. People like Patrick
>>Volkerding, Klaus Knopper and others are what drives
>>this whole engine, not the lawyers and salesmen at IBM.
>>

>I know Patrick Volkerding made a few dollars from the Walnut Creek
>CD-ROMs distribution. I think Patrick has had less of an impact and
>written less open-source software than Marc Ewing. In fact I think
>Patrick's lack of "business sense" or ability to attract funding has
>hindered Slackware to get the funding to improve Slackware beyond a
>bunch of files on CDs (or floppy.img files). I do not know anyone who
>uses Slackware in a large scale environment (more than 10 machines),
>and over its life time Slackware has had some serious lag between
>releases, not been as vigilant about making security fixes available,
>and not help push GNU/Linux beyond a Minix/Unix clone into a modern
>OS. I use and recommend distributions to help reduce the amount of
>work to install and maintain a system, and I think Slackware is beaten
>at that by nearly every other 'major' GNU/Linux distribution out there.

I stick to my guns, Slackware is 15% of the Linux market
and am quite sure that they are people doing some quite
interesting things with it, just because you don't know
about them doesn't mean they don't exist.
As far as the debate of what is free and what isn't, and
who are the good guys and the bad guys, it's not my
position to be totally against people making money, it's
just that after so many years of not having any, I've
developed a <healthy/unhealthy> contempt for it, and
those who promote it as the answer to all problems.
And...can someone tell me why Ximian was sold for,
what I heard was $50 million when all they ever did
was add a few icons, a mail/pim client and some odds
and ends to a free desktop environment (Gnome) that
half the stuff doesn't work right in anyways.
You mention funding for research and the like, but how
much of that money goes to new development, come on.
It's becoming all about lawyers now (those bastards).