[nSLUG] your own SMTP server

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Sat Mar 13 13:19:34 AST 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:57:53PM -0400, Vikram Chhatre wrote:
> M Taylor wrote:
>
> >For Peter (and others) looking for a solution to their
> >SMTP blocking problem, I'd suggest looking at possibly a
> >virtual private server e.g. jvps.com, rosehosting.com,
>
> With the little knowledge that I have about mailservers, I guess this
> would mean that you essentially run your mail server at a remote
> location and smtp and pop/imap your email to/from that virtual server.
> It is still not the same fun as physically hosting a mailserver in your
> bunker (for me!).

Well, physical location of a networked machine is not very important
is it? I mean in my home network (when it is re-built) I cannot see
all the machine that are connected through out the house on the same LAN at
the same time, yet I can bounce between them quite easily. At work
I use and am responsible for systems across Canada, so why not distribute
my personal network to beyond the walls of my home as well? Plus a system
is a datacenter is more available (network) connectivity wise than your home
connection.

To me it is the control, not the location that determines 'ownership'.
Remote system maintance brings a new level of challenges as well.