[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Sat Mar 13 13:10:41 AST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:59:41AM -0400, Paul Boudreau wrote:
> I'm just glad that we have a choice of numerous versions
> of Linux, all of which do some things better than others.
> In a world of "Free" software where SuSE sells for $250
> million U.S., and Red Hat is a billion dollar company and
> Oracle and IBM are spending wads of money, I find it

Free as in freedom, not as in cheap-skate.
<http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/philosophy.html>

"Selling Free Software Can Be OK!"
<http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/selling.html>

Red Hat Inc. and SuSE Inc. fund a lot of development of key GNU/Linux
system software including the linux kernel, XFree86 (and freedesktop.org),
the autotools, GCC suite, rpm, Cygwin, bzip2, glibc (GNU libc), various HA
components, KDE, GNOME, and likely dozens more (I suspect but am not
certain about Apache and Samba). Perhaps you also missed the XFS, JFS,
and High Availability (HA) components that IBM and SGI has released as
Open Source and/or Free Software.

> refreshing that Slackware has never sold out and remain
> true to the spirit of the whole thing. People like Patrick
> Volkerding, Klaus Knopper and others are what drives
> this whole engine, not the lawyers and salesmen at IBM.

I know Patrick Volkerding made a few dollars from the Walnut Creek
CD-ROMs distribution. I think Patrick has had less of an impact and
written less open-source software than Marc Ewing. In fact I think
Patrick's lack of "business sense" or ability to attract funding has
hindered Slackware to get the funding to improve Slackware beyond a
bunch of files on CDs (or floppy.img files). I do not know anyone who
uses Slackware in a large scale environment (more than 10 machines),
and over its life time Slackware has had some serious lag between
releases, not been as vigilant about making security fixes available,
and not help push GNU/Linux beyond a Minix/Unix clone into a modern
OS. I use and recommend distributions to help reduce the amount of
work to install and maintain a system, and I think Slackware is beaten
at that by nearly every other 'major' GNU/Linux distribution out there.