[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Sat Mar 13 07:48:26 AST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca wrote:

> Hi:
>
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Donald Teed wrote:
>

> > Two bits of interest:
> >
> > 1. "make install" of 2.6 kernel will actually check to see if you have
> > a lilo executable (on Gentoo we tend to have only one of these
> > things), and ask if you want to run it.  I'd imagine it would also
> > check if you have grub but I have not tried it.
>
> No, I don't think it does.  But then , as P. Cordes said, with grub you
> don't actually have to run grub to make the new image bootable -- and
> although I have used grub on a RH9 system, I really need to read the
> documentation on it and overcome my inertia and start using it.

But on the other hand, if this is your first time building the kernel,
then a grub run would be needed.  Given that this is the pattern
for Gentoo installs, I guess this was what I was thinking of.
But the main idea is that Slackware's kernel update could run a
similar check and question for lilo.

>[snip]

> drive, stuck it in another machine (it was hdc in both machines), booted
> the new machine from a knoppix CD, and used the raidtools to examine the
> drive.  The raid tools correctly told me everything I needed to know about
> the partitions, the drive seemed OK, so I put it back after using
> mdadm to mark it bad, the add it back to the array (details are fuzzy, but
> see mdadm(8)).  Check it out, and free yourself from raidtab!

I'm not about to mess with something that works and risk this.
Its only a tiny file and I don't see any advantage to blowing it away.
On the other hand there are some settings a person can make in the
raidtab to specify a failed disk and hot spare, etc., so I
could possibly make use of it in the future.

--Donald Teed