[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Sat Mar 13 03:22:37 AST 2004

> > Two bits of interest:
> >
> > 1. "make install" of 2.6 kernel will actually check to see if you have
> > a lilo executable (on Gentoo we tend to have only one of these
> > things), and ask if you want to run it.  I'd imagine it would also
> > check if you have grub but I have not tried it.
>
> No, I don't think it does.  But then , as P. Cordes said, with grub you
> don't actually have to run grub to make the new image bootable -- and
> although I have used grub on a RH9 system, I really need to read the
> documentation on it and overcome my inertia and start using it.

grub is wonderful!

I suspect the reason you have to run lilo is because it is very minimal,
and needs the exact location of the new kernel on the disk during the booting
process. grub on the other hand can mount filesystems and look around, so
it doesn't have to know exactly what byte the kernel starts at - just the
name of the file you wish to boot.

I'm sure the the lilo explanation I just gave is completely wrong, but I
was going for the "something like that" approach.

Jason