[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Sat Mar 13 00:37:58 AST 2004

Hi:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Donald Teed wrote:

> Two bits of interest:
>
> 1. "make install" of 2.6 kernel will actually check to see if you have
> a lilo executable (on Gentoo we tend to have only one of these
> things), and ask if you want to run it.  I'd imagine it would also
> check if you have grub but I have not tried it.

No, I don't think it does.  But then , as P. Cordes said, with grub you
don't actually have to run grub to make the new image bootable -- and
although I have used grub on a RH9 system, I really need to read the
documentation on it and overcome my inertia and start using it.

OTOH, a quick look at the 2.6 kernel Makefiles shows that there is a
target "fdimage" that creates a boot floppy image.  I haven't tried that,
either, but I should.

> 2. My 2.6 kernels are too big for a floppy.  The smallest one (a bzImage)
> was 1.6 MB and my current one is 1.8 MB.  But I never use boot floppies
> anymore.  All machines have a CDROM and the mobos support
> booting from CDROM, so I boot up a Gentoo or Knoppix CD for
> any maintenance.  Even for my software Raid 5 system, I can
> boot up the Gentoo Live CD, sftp to get a copy of my raidtab
> from another server, and start the raid up (support for installing
> to a software raid disk was one of the initial reasons I decided
> to try gentoo).

My current 2.6.3 kernel image (bzimage) is 903617 bytes, and it still
contains some stuff that I either don't need or should be in modules.  Of
course, my home machine is pretty simple.

As to CDROM vs floppy, you are right that all new machines contain a
bootable CDROM.  However, just yesterday I was working on an old machine
and wanted to boot from a CDROM to run some diagnostics, but that option
was not available in the BIOS, so sometimes a boot floppy can be very
handy.  And sometimes a CDROM is hosed (although floppy drives are more
likely to be non-functioning in older machines than the CDROM drive).  And
my new cheap laptop doesn't even have a floppy drive -- mind you, it's a
piece of shit and doesn't have a serial port either, and just died for the
second time.

As to RAID: I sympathize, having coerced a couple of Debian Woody systems
to boot from RAID1 partitions.  To get that working I found the use of a
boot floppy to be invaluable, but a boot CDROM would also have worked.
With newer kernels and raidtools, I don't think you actually need
/etc/raidtab, the kernel groks the RAID configuration from the persistent
superblock, and you can build the array using raidtools without
referencing the raidtab file.  A while ago a machine using a RAID1 mirror
had a problem on boot, and wouldn't recognize one of the drives.  I wasn't
sure whether the problem was the drive or the controller, so I removed the
drive, stuck it in another machine (it was hdc in both machines), booted
the new machine from a knoppix CD, and used the raidtools to examine the
drive.  The raid tools correctly told me everything I needed to know about
the partitions, the drive seemed OK, so I put it back after using
mdadm to mark it bad, the add it back to the array (details are fuzzy, but
see mdadm(8)).  Check it out, and free yourself from raidtab!