[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Fri Mar 12 23:54:26 AST 2004

Two bits of interest:

1. "make install" of 2.6 kernel will actually check to see if you have
a lilo executable (on Gentoo we tend to have only one of these
things), and ask if you want to run it.  I'd imagine it would also
check if you have grub but I have not tried it.

2. My 2.6 kernels are too big for a floppy.  The smallest one (a bzImage)
was 1.6 MB and my current one is 1.8 MB.  But I never use boot floppies
anymore.  All machines have a CDROM and the mobos support
booting from CDROM, so I boot up a Gentoo or Knoppix CD for
any maintenance.  Even for my software Raid 5 system, I can
boot up the Gentoo Live CD, sftp to get a copy of my raidtab
from another server, and start the raid up (support for installing
to a software raid disk was one of the initial reasons I decided
to try gentoo).