[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Fri Mar 12 16:15:20 AST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Paul Boudreau wrote:

> First, try downloading a SuSE iso. They are without a doubt
> the least open source of the distros.

Suse has a small ISO that allows you to run the FTP install.
They also have a live CD ISO for download.  Both of these are free.
As far as obtaining ISOs goes, for awhile it was impossible to find
ISOs of Debian CDs.  Only jigdo "worked".  But that is for different
reasons.  Xandros is probably the most tight I've seen - you
gotta pay the money to get the CD (still half the price of Windows upgrade),
and then you are permitted to download their source.  I have not
looked at the license but I suspect they do like others and say
that the embedded logos and company name are trademarked, copyrighted,
which makes it very difficult to redistribute.  I don't like that,
but at the same time I realize the significant contributions
companies with money have put into Linux.  If Linux were purely
a hobbiest system it wouldn't be developed much beyond where
it was in 1997 and driver support would be lagging way behind
the appearance of hardware.

Personally, I believe QA is one area that either suffers or goes
incredibly slow without paid work done on it.  No one wants to
do the incredibly tedious work that goes into serious QA for fun.