[nSLUG] Automotive metaphor (Was: kernel setup stack...)

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Mar 12 14:52:56 AST 2004

If your distro were a motor vehicle.....

dteed quoth:

> Having a larger developer base would help if Patrick wants to enhance
> things beyond the Toyota Tercel of Linuxes.

The trend, fully realized by M$ and pursued by some Linux "desktop"
fans/developers is:

   40-foot Winnebago, sleeps 6, his'n'hers bicycles and motocross
   bikes strapped to the back, Toyota Tercel in tow, followed by an
   trailered cabin cruiser, also in tow; all hookups plus satellite TV
   dish on the roof.

My ideal,  no less top-heavy I guess, is more like:

   Utility service truck -- the kind where all the side panels are
   toolbox doors -- with a small machine shop inside, winch and PTO
   fore and aft, cherry picker boom, big diesel powerplant in tow
   with integral generator, welder and compressor.

Eventually, I might fall to the seduction of moving to a 40' semi rig
with room for more machine tools, hauled by a Peterbuilt with a
sleeper cab.  But not a Winnebago and no boat, thanks. :-)

- Mike

                                                           /V\