[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Fri Mar 12 06:15:00 AST 2004

I detect some sarcasm in this response left over from
the previous debate.  Gentoo or any distro will provide
people will a way to shoot themselves in the foot.
But usually the way it happens is tricky for
the developers to solve easily and often unique
to the distribution.

All I'm pointing out is that Slackware seems to
have encountered an oops of the sort that was
easily preventable given that this exact experience
happened years ago in at least one major distro.
If Redhat deserved shame for their oops, it is
because they should have the resources to QA this.
If Slackware deserves shame for this opps, it is
because it is a simple mistake that has happened
before and someone should have caught it.

Note that I say "seems to" - I do not know for certain
as I have not seen if there is at least a warning that
Vikram missed.

Sure you don't loose your system, but suppose you had
cron'ed that update script like those poor Redhat 7.0
users - you would be looking at unexpected downtime
(for which reason may not be obvious) and in the land
of machine rooms, downtime can be serious.

People generally do consider Slackware to be very robust,
so this is an exception to the rule, but it might
be a sign of the future as it enters some growing
pains of advancing features.  Having a larger
developer base would help if Patrick wants to
enhance things beyond the Toyota Tercel of Linuxes.

--Donald