[nSLUG] kernel setup stack overlaps lilo

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Thu Mar 11 16:51:08 AST 2004

> > #/sbin/lilo
> > # Added Linux*
> >
> > And thats it.  I have my desktop back.  Thanks.

Redhat got into deep doo-doo with users back around 7.0
when the up2date utility would apply a new kernel and bust
the system.  I don't remember whether it was just a question
of rerunning lilo back then or not but that seems to be
all this required.  Is Slack trying to catch up to the
modern distros and making similar mistakes?  A big "tsk, tsk"
if there wasn't even a warning produced by the new package
management system.

Whenever the linux kernel file is overwritten, it is not
guaranteed to be at the same last physical location on disk,
and thus lilo must be run.  This doesn't apply for grub or silo (sparc).