[nSLUG] On topic of favorite distros, and Linux on the Desktop

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Mar 5 01:21:10 AST 2004

Unfortunately, the people working on Wine, WineX (at last weeks
Novel/IBM Linux thing, they mentioned in passing that transgaming has a
productivity app wing now), crossover, etc, etc, are not the same people
whom are working on the stuff that they are getting to run under Linux.

There may be a direct 1:1 replacement for most, if not all, standard
productivity tools. But there are lots of non-standard programs in
existence... These could run from semi-complex macro things for MS
Office, to complete custom apps. Hell, Ive produced Visual FoxPro code -
with heavy reliance on DDE and Excel for graphs. I wouldn't know where
to begin redoing that with the unix toolkit.

How many computers at banks are PCs that just use tn3270? Hell, there
are toolkits in existence that are tn3270<->http/html proxies, but they
don't quite work, are slow, and cost money (registration at UNB was
painful. But, OTOH, it was online in 1995. Dal was what, 2002?)[1]. Wine
and friends are not the first example of emulation being used as a
crutch, and they wont be the last.

[1] Speaking of which, how many 25 year olds are there that have
generated unique Cobol, 370 ASM, and JCL? Well, ok, your right, you got
me on the last one. Only about 10 people total, ever, have generated
unique JCL, everyone else just copied it.