[nSLUG] Debian X server help.

bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Thu Mar 4 19:30:52 AST 2004

Hi again:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Donald Teed wrote:
[snip]
> > I'm really not trying to be bloody-minded here.  I have tried to make two
> > points in this thread: the first was meant to be informative and humorous,
> > pointing out that slackware has facilities for automatic, network-based
> > package management (installs, updates etc) which are at least as difficult as
> > apt-get and friends.
>
> I don't know what you are saying here.  At least as difficult
> doesn't provide any feature.

That was the "humorous" part...  Don't worry, most people don't get my
sense of humour.  But it was in response to the original parent post.

> However the package management
> is non-existant when the packages are not from Slack, and
> that happens very often.  As well, the package management
> tells one nothing about dependancies.  You find them
> out by trying it out.  That isn't package management.

root at plato:~# swaret --morehelp
swaret 1.6.1
[snip]
 --update                  Retrieve the latest List Files
 --upgrade                 Upgrade all installed Packages (man)
 --upgrade  -a             Upgrade all installed Packages (auto)
 --upgrade KEYWORD         Upgrade installed Packages matching a Keyword
(man)
 --upgrade KEYWORD -a      Upgrade installed Packages matching a Keyword
(auto)
[snip]
 --dep                     Track and Fix all missing Libraries (man)
 --dep -a                  Track and Fix all missing Libraries (auto)
 --dep KEYWORD             Track and Fix missing Libraries
                           matching a Keyword (man)
 --dep KEYWORD -a          Track and Fix missing Libraries
                           matching a Keyword (auto)

And yes, swaret is a slackware package.

--
Bill Davidson