[nSLUG] On topic of favorite distros, and Linux on the Desktop

Rick Franchuk rickf at transpect.net
Thu Mar 4 17:31:42 AST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 16:15, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 03:12:21PM -0400, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> > Did you miss the part where I said being a wacko was a good thing?
>
> Come now.  If I characterized Jeff Warnica as a moron, but qualified it with
> "but that's a good thing" would it be any less defamatory?

The only problem here I think is with nomenclature. I personally
wouldn't call RMS a 'wacko' so much as I would call him an ideological
extremist. For good or ill, OSS is his cause celebre regardless of how
well suited he may be to represent it.

I respect his abilities as a programmer, and the sheer force of will
he's invested to get OSS off the ground, but like all things OSS is
transforming and new personalities are needed in order for things to
progress, IMO.

Sometimes he reminds me of Marc Emory (of cannibus legalization fame)...
a well meaning but overly zealous individual who often does as much harm
as good when he starts to proselytize.