[nSLUG] On topic of favorite distros, and Linux on the Desktop

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Thu Mar 4 15:33:11 AST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 01:06:00PM -0400, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> Quoting Peter Cordes <peter at cordes.ca>:
>
> >On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:47:46AM -0400, Paul Boudreau wrote:
> >>GNU is more than a political movement, it is the basis for
> >>all free software out there, not just Linux.
> >
> > Not true.  XFree86 and the BSDs for example are completely independent of
> >the GNU project.  They have Free origins that date back to before the
> >influence of the GNU project.
>
> For that matter, Linux (the kernel) isnt a GNU project either.

 IIRC, I've read that if it weren't for the GNU project and the GPL, Linux
might not have been Free.  Linus was aware of the GNU project, and it
influenced his decision to make Linux Free.  (not to mention the fact that he
might not have done it at all without GNU tools!)  Unlike Linux, there are a
few Free projects out there that aren't that way because of RMS.  Actually,
there are lots of people who think RMS sucks, and release their software
under a BSD'ish license, such as nmap.

> Some console gaming story on /. (linux for PSX? doesn't matter...) linked
> to an
> email of RMS where he claimed he couldnt understand why someone would want a
> computer that was compleatly non-hackable... He said that he diddnt even
> know
> of the existance of console gaming systems - not an unfamilarity with, a
> compleate lack of knowladge of.

 That's pretty funny.  He's like a monk in a cloister sometimes.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)