[nSLUG] On topic of favorite distros, and Linux on the Desktop

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Mar 4 13:06:00 AST 2004

Quoting Peter Cordes <peter at cordes.ca>:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:47:46AM -0400, Paul Boudreau wrote:
>> GNU is more than a political movement, it is the basis for
>> all free software out there, not just Linux.
>
>  Not true.  XFree86 and the BSDs for example are completely independent of
> the GNU project.  They have Free origins that date back to before the
> influence of the GNU project.

For that matter, Linux (the kernel) isnt a GNU project either. It happens to use
the GPL, but the code remains copyright Linus Torvalds (and friends). Somewhere
on GNUs website I once read that they request that people transfer their
copyright to them, so that they can (potentially) better defend it.

>> but Eben Moglen (chief council of
>> the FSF, Columbia Law Professor). His philosophy is that
>> Microsoft's business model is dying, and it is not a matter
>> of if, but when people (and companies and governments)
>> switch to the Free (as in libre, not gratis) model.
>> We've already won, so stop arguing.
>
>  That's pretty much RMS's philosophy too, naturally.

I dont want to put words into RMSs mouth (or worse, thoughts in his head), but I
get the feeling his attitude isnt: "Microsoft and other closed source software
(only) companies are evil. Free Software will deleiver us from evil", but
closer to "Free Software is all I care about and there just isnt anything
else... Not other things are bad, simply there are no other things"

Some console gaming story on /. (linux for PSX? doesn't matter...) linked to an
email of RMS where he claimed he couldnt understand why someone would want a
computer that was compleatly non-hackable... He said that he diddnt even know
of the existance of console gaming systems - not an unfamilarity with, a
compleate lack of knowladge of.

There are two possible conclusions we can draw about RMS from that:
- he actually doesnt know about the existnace of console gaming systems... This
demonstrates that he is out of touch with reality. Read a story about nVidia
you learn about consoles. Story about IBMs new fab plant, you learn about
consoles. Walk into a video rental store and you see console games.
or
-He does know about their existance, but because they dont run a lisp
interperter, they may as well not exist, and shouldnt exist, so he pretends to
know now about them

Now, I dont own a consle system, and purchasing one is just below a private
island on things for me to buy. One isnt right for me. But I know they exist,
and I know that they may be right for someone.

Either way, he is a wacko. Being a wacko is a good trait for a revolutionary.
But history shows tht wacko revolutionary leaders dont generally make good
leaders of whatever they built.