[nSLUG] On topic of favorite distros, and Linux on the Desktop

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Thu Mar 4 02:36:14 AST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:47:46AM -0400, Paul Boudreau wrote:
> GNU is more than a political movement, it is the basis for
> all free software out there, not just Linux.

 Not true.  XFree86 and the BSDs for example are completely independent of
the GNU project.  They have Free origins that date back to before the
influence of the GNU project.

> Open source,
> the term, has been watered down to be meaningless.
> If you want to hear advocacy, don't listen to  someone
> like Eric S. Raymond,

 Agreed on that.  Raymond is more concerned with popularity of Free software
than with people using it for reasons of long-term freedom.  Last I heard
RMS was on a big kick promoting moving to completely Free systems, rather
than just getting people to use a few Free programs.

> but Eben Moglen (chief council of
> the FSF, Columbia Law Professor). His philosophy is that
> Microsoft's business model is dying, and it is not a matter
> of if, but when people (and companies and governments)
> switch to the Free (as in libre, not gratis) model.
> We've already won, so stop arguing.

 That's pretty much RMS's philosophy too, naturally.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)