[nSLUG] Debian X server help.

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Mar 3 12:54:24 AST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Paul Boudreau wrote:

> If I knew someone who HAD TO HAVE Evolution, first I
> would try to talk them out of it. Then I'd tell them to
> install Slack without Gnome, download dropline-installer
> and an hour or so later they'd have a fully functional
> Gnome desktop with Evo. Problem solved.

That might work.  Dropline was suggested for other reasons,
but there was a request to use KDE as it was felt that Gnome
has a bit more overhead in resources and file space.

However I don't want to lose sight of the general issue, of
which Evolution for Slack 9 was merely one example.  I also
had dependancies for ogle that wouldn't compile, an ICQ client
that wouldn't compile, a bug in Gnumeric that Patrick himself
said was busted with no solution for 9.0, and possibly more
issues I can't recall right now.  The basic situation is that
Slack isn't the best distro for this type of purpose, just
as Gentoo isn't the best distro for someone who just wants to
surf and read email on their machine and has no desire to learn
any CLI.

Slackware is minimalist and that is what it does best.
Like a 2 cycle engine people like it because it is easy to
know all of the parts, manipulate all of the pieces and get
things set up for specific duty machines.  What it doesn't do
best is offer a solid path to providing and maintaining
hundreds of packages (you need to go to all of those 3rd party
sources for updates when packages didn't come with Slackware).
And maybe that is why it is called Slack!

--Donald Teed