[nSLUG] Debian X server help.

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Mar 3 04:49:07 AST 2004

dteed>    In Slackware you are trapped in a snapshot of time for
dteed>    a certain range of libc and other dependancies.

bdavidso> What does that mean?

I don't know what that means either but I've just learned something
that seems related.

In a previous post, I remarked that Maple V wouldn't run under Slak 8
because of library deficiencies.  I didn't -- don't yet -- fully
understand all of this but I found how it is that:

      Slak 8/ failed to provide for this potential problem, and

      Caldera anticipated it nicely.

My problem was  that both Maple V and WordPerfect 8 need libc5 libs
while libc6 is apparently the current and default version.

The Caldera distro provided, in each of several directories, a
"gnulibc1" subdir, e.g. /usr/X11R6/lib/gnulibc1.  Each of those
subdirs contained the libc5 libs corresponding to the libc6 ones in
its parent dir.  Then, in /etc/ld.so.conf, there were lines like:

     /usr/X11R6/lib
     /usr/X11R6/lib/gnulibc1=libc5

Slak 8 did nothing of the kind although the "extra" CD contained an
"attic" dir of "retired" bits that included the libc5 libs.  It was
easier, given that I have my old Caldera drive mounted as hdb, to
write a script that did something like:

  foreach foo ( `find all those lib dirs` )
    mkdir $foo/gnulibc1
    cp -p -R /mnt/hdb4$foo/gnulibc1/* $foo/gnulibc1
  end

and then edit /etc/ld.so.conf to reference those new dirs and run
ldconfig.  This appears to have worked; Maple V and WP8 start without
complaint (er, without complaints related to libraries, anyhow.)

Slak should have taken it for granted that slakheads, even slak
newbies, would have all sorts of weird old s**t they wanted to run and
should have provided that libc5 hack by default.

Well, as I said, I made this choice in part in order to be forced to
learn a lot of new stuff.  That particular aspect has been stunningly
successful. 8-)

RSN I'm going to have to get away from the keyboard and spend some
time in the blacksmith shop where a *new* tool is one that's less than
35 years old and power tools made in 1929 plug into 2002 power
outlets just fine.  Spring, after all, is nearly here.

- Mike

                                                           /V\