[nSLUG] Help! Eastlink is port-filtering my mail server

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Mar 2 19:38:09 AST 2004

There isn't a "sendmail packet". Aliant is blocking port 25, which is
almost, but not quite the same as, blocking SMTP.

The "mail message submission" protocol is SMTP with some fewer
restrictions, though every MTA that I have setup it is 'just' SMTP on an
alternate official port, 587. Before the machine crashed (and I lost the
configuration), I was sending mail out via (authenticated) SMTP on the
MSA port. I haven't yet reconfigured a remote machine to allow for this,
so I too have reverted to using Aliant to send mail. Others on this list
have reported sending mail out using SMTP listening on an alternate, and
unofficial, port.

My personal concern with using Aliant for outgoing mail is not that
blocking :25 is evil, but that there is a significantly less then 100%
delivery rate. And because my email address isn't an aliant one, I don't
get the error messages, if any are produced.