[nSLUG] On topic of favorite distros, and Linux on the Desktop

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Mar 1 22:56:07 AST 2004

I think this is the major distinction between the GNU "Free Software"
and the OSI "Open Source" camps. GNU is a political movement with
philosophic goals. OSI is pragmatic, pushing the theory that Open Source
methodologies produce better systems, and that many OSS packages are
better then their closed source competitors.

Since I have no money, no job (and thus, no budget), zero cost is a Good
Thing. I'm not really a programmer[1], but being able to make minor
fixes is a Good Thing. But I'm more then willing to use NVidia's
drivers, help RedHat by running FC, and personally produce unique,
closed source code. And I'm more then prepared to personally buy, or
recommend to others to buy closed source systems if they happen to be
better then some OSS/Free alternative.

[1] though I play one in real life, disliking it only slightly less then
menial unskilled labour