[nSLUG] Boot problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Jan 29 16:26:44 AST 2004

dteed> I asked about whether the full size of the drive was seen in
dteed> the P133, because I did have an experience with a nephew who
dteed> had installed Windows on a P166 which couldn't work with a
dteed> larger drive (20GB perhaps).

Well, for the 20G Maxtor that has been working all along in the PII,

   bogus% df

   /dev/hda4             18704505   2712011  15017506  15% /
   /dev/hda2                15615       619     14190   4% /boot

and the (slightly different, newer) 20G Maxtor that boots in the P133
but not in the PII, shows this when in the P133:

   alien% df

   /dev/hda4             18276447   3245766  14078247  19% /
   /dev/hda2                10243       687      9027   8% /boot

IIRC, the problem HD showed roughly the same when mounted as /dev/hdb
in the PII.  (In any event, I wrote ca. 2G to it in that
configuration.)

I haven't tried any cute trick to force a write to the physical upper
end of the HD on either drive and, as df shows, I'm not past the 8.4G
boundary on either one.

Unless df lies or is off in its own bag somehow, the kernel knows
about the whole drive space.

dteed> This one was kinda interesting...
dteed> http://www.blu.org/pipermail/discuss/2000-July/033548.html

Ah!  From that mssg:

    The third mode is where Lilo runs in 32-bit LBA mode.  This
    requires support for 32-bit LBA specifically from both the
    motherboard and the drive, but it support boot partitions as large
    as 2 TB.  The main problem with 32-bit LBA mode is that only very
    new (21.4.0) or later Lilo can do it, and it is somewhat unlikely
    that an older motherboard BIOS would be compatible with it.

    Enabling 24-bit LBA mode with Lilo is done with the "linear" keyword.
    Enabling 32-bit LBA mode with Lilo is done with the "lba32" keyword.

So now I know what the "lba32" keyword is supposed to do.  Good.

Dop> I've had i810 audio and video working fine before now, it just
Dop> takes a kernel recompile.

IIRC, when I first set up the PII/i810, I had to:

      Get ALSA to get the sound to work

      Get an XF86 server binary from Intel to get XF86 3.x to work

      Did not have to compile a kernel

(Recall may be faulty.)  If I can get this new Slak 8 install to boot
the PII, it will have XF86 4.x that supports i810 with a loadable
module.  If sound doesn't work, I assume I can fetch the most recent
ALSA package.

I appreciate the discussion.

- Mike

                                                           /V\