[nSLUG] Boot problem

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Thu Jan 29 10:34:39 AST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Dop Ganger wrote:

> I'd recommend using the lilo and kernel installed on your machine,
> otherwise you'll be dependent on a boot disk whenever you update your
> system.

Reading this, I can vaguely recall running into a problem with
a different version of lilo.  I don't understand why this happens,
but I believe this is correct.  Please ignore my suggestion to run
lilo off KNOPPIX and the like.

I asked about whether the full size of the drive was seen in
the P133, because I did have an experience with a nephew who
had installed Windows on a P166 which couldn't work
with a larger drive (20GB perhaps).  My nephew had formatted it
as 8.4 GB drive before I redid it with a drive overlay BIOS.

Windows had problems installing or stability problems while
it was a 8.4 GB drive (I know, I know - normal for Windows 98),
so I expected the format wasn't done properly due to the
BIOS condition.