[nSLUG] Re: Boot problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Jan 28 20:09:35 AST 2004

> Just list lba32 on a line by itself somewhere near the top of your
> lilo.conf .  I read some time ago that sometimes it was necessary to
> state that, but perhaps with newer lilo you don't need that.  I
> guess that is another variation - what version of lilo you are
> running on the boot disk?

On the boot disk?  If I boot off a floppy and do:

     mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/hd       # hda4 is /
     mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hd/boot  # hda2 is /boot

     chroot /mnt/hd /sbin/lilo [options, whatever]

I'll be running the lilo that's in /sbin on /dev/hda4 won't I?

That one reports "LILO vrsion 21.7-5".  Came with the slak-8 distro
and worked fine when the HD in question was in the P133.

I'm going to find the lilo source tonight and see if I can puzzle out
what "Error 0x48" means.

Tnx,
- Mike

                                 (902) 543-8375            /V\