[nSLUG] Boot problem

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jan 28 10:01:50 AST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Mike Spencer wrote:

[snip]
> So I removed the HD from the P133 and put it into a PII (replacing
> another HD as hda).  Nothing I know how to do will get it to boot in
> the PII.
[snip]
>   # Boot off a  rescue disk and do
>
>         chroot /mnt/new-hd /sbin/lilo -l -b /dev/hda
>
>     check
[snip]
> +    lilo complains about sectors greater than 1024 and aborts if I
>      run lilo when the hd is installed in the PII.  Adding "linear" or
>      -l causes it to warn but execute.  No abort or warning when
>      installed in the P133.  lilo just does its thing.
>
> +    The boot failure occurs after  "LILO" and the "boot: linux"
>      prompt.  An error message flickers too fast too see that looks
>      like "Error 0x48".

Sounds like you're running into a combination of problems. The P133 is
using a different addressing scheme from the PII, and the PII may be
hitting the 512MB limit. Can you put a /boot partition on the drive
somewhere before the 512MB limit? That may be enough to get it working
(specially since you're using -l). Regardless, you'll probably have to
boot off a rescue disk and re-lilo (I usually use lilo -r rather than
chroot, btw).

Cheers... Dop.