[nSLUG] Xandros 2.0 is out and about

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Tue Jan 27 07:35:50 AST 2004

I know it is tough for many to accept the concept of purchasing
Linux, and if this is you, don't read this email.  I don't think
many of you would want to use Xandros yourself, but you may know
someone that hasn't been weened off Windows who would like it.

I've picked up a copy of Xandros 2.0 and spent a day with it.
I've also worked a bit with the beta versions.

I can confirm that the Package management tool "Xandros Network"
is able to select and install packages from "Debian Unsupported",
which opens up the product to including many packages from Debian.
It is a lot easier for a non-techie to use than something like
dselect.  When there is a question during the configuration step,
there is an answer field and an Enter button to send the
answer to the question.

The license agreement is somewhat relaxed.  You can install it on as many
home computers as you own and one commercial computer.  The exception
to this is if you have the Deluxe version which includes the Codeweaver
plugin and comes under their license.

If you have a deployment of Linux for the Desktop, and the users require
GUI tools for setting up stuff like USB devices, wireless LAN and printers
which is just as easy as it is in Windows, then consider Xandros.
Those of you who are already familiar with Debian will find it is
a much better option than Suse and Redhat for being able to work
out problems on the ground floor when the fluffy stuff is
busted or just doesn't provide the feature necessary.