[nSLUG] SSH - Dropped connections

bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Sat Jan 17 01:10:32 AST 2004

Hi:

Sorry if this is a double-post -- I lurk on this list at work and am once
in a while moved to send something, but I forget to change my "identity"
and my message is held up because it comes from someone who is not a
subscriber (and I'm not complaining, I thinkthat is a Good Thing).

Anyway, when our opffice changed our INternet provider recently I
experienced a lot of timeouts on my ssh connections to our servers.  The
connections would die every few minutes and leave a shell (and whatever I
was doing) open.

I changed a few network parameters on the servers and the client, as
follows, and things have been much better:

~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_intvl
15
~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
300
~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_probes
1

I still lose the odd connection which has been idle for a few hours, but
things are much better than they were.  In debian, these can be set in
/etc/sysctl.conf so they take effect on boot.

I don't claim to be a tcp/ip guru; these were settings suggested for a
piece of commercial software, and I found that the server using those
setings didn't lose connections as odten as others.  I will leave it to
others smarter than me (Peter? Dop?) to explain why it works; I just know
that it does work.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca