[nSLUG] SSH - Dropped connections

David L. Potter dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 16 10:44:42 AST 2004

I have two machines which are both running RedHat 7.2 with
OpenSSH_3.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f

One machine is on the GT network and the other machine is local (inside
a SMC router/firewall.

Both machines were using a standard configuration (with KeepAlive), and
I'm using the same ssh client to access both machines.

The remote machine has always (consistently) dropped idle connections on
the client end - with the bash and ssh processes remaining alive on the
server end.

The local machine (same server configuration) and the Chebucto sshd
server have never dropped connections like this - same client.

This has finally got very irritating... ;-)

Fire away folks... ;-) I'm going out to cool dawn... ;-)

david potter