[nSLUG] no networking

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Jan 16 06:38:00 AST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:38:00PM -0400, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 13:40, Peter Cordes wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:42:49PM -0400, Dop Ganger wrote:
> > > I think that's the situation. It's probably cheaper for Intel to have a
> > > mask that has everything enabled and picks out parts that are "good" for
> > > different apps, but any chip that doesn't cut the mustard as (say) a P4
> > > with HT can be reused as a P4 without HT. I remember that's what they did
> > > with 486 SX and DX, and it wouldn't surprise me if that were still the
> > > case...
>
> My recollection of 486 DX/SX was not that "good" chips were selected as
> being DX's; some chips were just unlucky and got their DX parts dyked
> out intentionally for price/marketing reasons only.

 This kind of thing is common once production yields and quality control get
ahead of the marketing price points.

 OTOH, new designs, like the Athlon64, tend to have more defects.  There is
speculation that the Athlon64 3000+, which runs at the same speed as the
3200+, but has 512k instead of 1M L2, are parts that had a defect in one
half of the L2, and they're selling them cheap with that part of the cache
disabled instead of just tossing them.  (presumably because supply < demand,
and they need to get CPUs out there, and the yields aren't great yet.)

> The Jargon file tell
> a story of DEC just filling slots with glue and selling X and X+Y
> backplanes as different.

 heh.

> >  That seems a little unlikely: don't they have to make laptop chips on
> > purpose, since they have different speed-efficiency tradeoffs?
>
> And don't they have different features, like WiFi built in?

 No WiFi in the CPU itself (Centrino = CPU + Intel's chipset + Intel's WiFi
chipset, the CPU is the Pentium M), but that reminds me that they do have
frequency scaling (SpeedStep, PowerNow, or what have you.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)