[nSLUG] Hardware advice

Rick Wightman wightman at nb.sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 15 22:44:41 AST 2004

Folks,

In a couple of months I will have about $2500 to construct a small
office server for my church which could be given a lifespan of 5+ yrs.
I'm looking at 1 boot + 2 mirrored drives + DVD burner (+/-R I don't
know yet) as archivable backup. It will, of course, be running some
flavour of Linux. What services? The current server, a Sparc10 in an
identical configuration (8mm tape instead of DVD), supplies DHCP, BIND,
NTP, SMB, Apache, mySQL, SSH and likely a few others I've forgotten.

I'm looking for the groups suggestions/experiences around motherboard
and CPU combinations and hard drive manufacturers/series for this
application. Thoughts on price/performance/reliability for SCSI, ATA
and series ATA are also appreciated, recalling that there was some
discussion about some of this a while back, and you may consider it
off-topic.

Regards,

Rick Wightman