[nSLUG] NIC detection order

Jamie Fifield jamie at fifield.ca
Thu Jan 15 20:42:28 AST 2004

It's the netdev= boot option (formally the ether= option).  See the Ethernet
HOWTO for an older explaination but the netdev parameters should be
the same according to Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

Or you can cheat, and build the driver for eth1 as a module, that
works too. :)

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:20:16PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
>  I have two tulip NICs in one machine, which are detected as eth0 and eth1.
> (One is an old Cogent EM100 tulip that I can't change without telling
> eastlink the new MAC address, and one is a new ADMtek Comet-based Linksys
> (NC100), which does a better job at autonegotiation.   I used to have two
> Cogent cards in the machine, but I replaced one with the new NIC, and
> shuffled around my PCI cards for better airflow.)
>
>  I want them to be detected in the other order, but I don't want to put
> them in different PCI slots.  They use the same driver module, so I can't
> control it by loading one or the other first.
>
>  I thought I remembered seeing a mention of a tool that could rename an
> interface, so you could do  ethsomething rename eth0 eth2, etc.  I can't
> find anything of the sort.
>
>  Ideas?  Do I have to hack the code to do the detecting in the reverse order?
>
> In the kernel code, dev_alloc_name gets a mask which can include %d or not,
> I haven't yet figured out if ethernet driver modules can be convinced to
> pass a given string, like eth1, rather than eth%d, to it.  If they passed a
> user-supplied string, it would work (or fail if the name was taken)...
>
>  TIA,
>
> --
> #define X(x,y) x##y
> Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)
>
> "The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
>  Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack
>  my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BC

Jamie Fifield
<jamie at fifield.ca>