[nSLUG] SB Live! 5.1 - Redhat 8.0

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jan 14 19:50:43 AST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Vikram wrote:

> I tried aumix, increased volume, but now I am getting following error when I
> try to play mp3 files in xmms (installed with support for mp3):
>
> Couldn't open audio:
>
> Please check:
> 1. You have the correct output plugin selected (My system shows: eSound
> output plugin 1.2.7)
> 2. No other program is blocking the sound card
> 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
>
> Could this be because two different mixers are trying to control the sound
> card at the same time? (aumix and kmix).

Shouldn't be, that's usually because some other program is holding open
the sound card - I do it myself all the time starting gnomemeeting and
forgetting to stop xmms first. Mixers run independently of anything
writing to the sound output, aumix can be running at the same time as xmms
without a problem.

lsof -n | grep dsp should show which program is holding open the sound
card.

Cheers... Dop.