[nSLUG] HRM wants to try online voting

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Jan 14 13:54:11 AST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 02:35, Jason Kenney wrote:
> > >The current (paper) system can be understood by anyone. I don't think
> > >any kind of automated system could be made simple enough to be
> > >understood by just anyone... The standard that (should) applies to
> >
> > I'm not sure I agree. I heard just today on the CBC about a
> > computerized voting system that relies on optical reading technology.

[is_OCR sniped].
> I don't see the point of an OCR system.

I was speaking specifically of the vague idea proposed by an HRM
concealer. City elections have horrible turnout, an online election
might help, ORC wont.

Besides, if we want to use paper in a way easily countable by machines,
and also verifiable by people, Im sure we could get a good deal on used
machines from Florida. (I think the problem there was the UI of the
machine, not the machine itself (Well, and the law..). As I recently
posted to /., the Nazis used punch cards to help orchestrate the
Holocaust. Punch cards work.)