[nSLUG] HRM wants to try online voting

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Wed Jan 14 01:34:53 AST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:15:42 -0400, Jeff Warnica wrote:

>The current (paper) system can be understood by anyone. I don't think
>any kind of automated system could be made simple enough to be
>understood by just anyone... The standard that (should) applies to

I'm not sure I agree. I heard just today on the CBC about a
computerized voting system that relies on optical reading technology.
Therefore the voter need only understand what he already understands:
how to mark his vote on a paper ballot. The computer then reads the
ballot and counts it. It can also be programmed, of course, to
automatically pick up on inappropriately marked ballots (too many
candidates selected, none selected, etc.) and notify the voter *right
then* that their ballot has been spoiled and will not be counted, thus
giving them the opportunity to resubmit if desired.

This system has benefits other than the one explained above: it is also
faster than human vote counting; it retains the paper evidence of the
vote (it's not all-electronic) should need or desire for an audit
arise.

Sounds plausible to me.

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com