[nSLUG] How to determine if NIC supports PXE boot?

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Jan 13 20:37:34 AST 2004

Thats not necessarily true. PC Network cards have had (the option) of
boot proms for 20 years; PXE is only something like 5 years old. They
are not the same thing, though they are both solutions to the same
general problem. I was never entirely clear on how the non-PXE network
booting worked.

There is the etherboot package, which generates "whatever" it is you
would burn into an EEPROM to stick in your (old) NICs, and it can also
be used to generate boot floppies. (apparently, the same thing)
http://etherboot.sourceforge.net

And if you happen to not want to build you own from the command line,
there is http://rom-o-matic.net/, but that seems to be down right now.