[nSLUG] How to determine if NIC supports PXE boot?

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Mon Jan 12 10:46:26 AST 2004

I've done a little test that causes me more curiousity.

I have two machines I've tested on the same network with
a working PXE Server.

One has an Intel PRO 100 adapter.  Under the Network section
of the Boot options on the mobo BIOS, it has both INT 18 and
PXE as network boot flavours.  When set to INT 18, it seems
to fallback to the PXE network boot option and finds the
PXE Server.

The other has an SMC EZ Card 10/100.  Under the Network section
of the Boot options on the mobo BIOS, it has only INT 18 as
an option.  When set to INT 18, it cannot find the PXE Server.

The motherboards are different as well, and I don't know whether the
PXE boot option is coming from the mobo or NIC activating this
boot option in the mobo.

--Donald Teed