[nSLUG] How to determine if NIC supports PXE boot?

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Mon Jan 12 07:47:08 AST 2004

I need a NIC that supports PXE to develop/test disk imaging over the network
with udpcast.

I've been trying to make a machine boot pxelinux and not
even getting a blip in the DHCP logs.  It makes me wonder if
the NIC I have will support PXE.  The motherboard does say Network INT 18
is a boot option, but I wonder if my cheap Network Everywhere NC100 V2
is up to the task.  Looking at their website I don't see it in
the Specs or mentioned on the support page.  I also don't see any
mention of PXE in the boot up sequence as I have observed in an
IBM notebook which I am certain does support PXE bootup.

The blah-blah web articles discussing networking and PXE make it sound
like it should be widely supported (PC99 spec), but I'm now thinking
that means on the motherboard level, not necessarily the NIC.

Does anyone have a tip on how to determine that PXE is supported
(both before or after purchase would be of interest)?

--Donald Teed