[nSLUG] no networking

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Jan 9 15:12:57 AST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Jeff Warnica wrote:

> My recollection of 486 DX/SX was not that "good" chips were selected as
> being DX's; some chips were just unlucky and got their DX parts dyked
> out intentionally for price/marketing reasons only. The Jargon file tell
> a story of DEC just filling slots with glue and selling X and X+Y
> backplanes as different.

My recollection was that it started out with SX's being DX's with a faulty
copro, but when the popularity really picked up (since they were so cheap)
Intel ended up using regular DX's with the copro lines cut off.

> >  That seems a little unlikely: don't they have to make laptop chips on
> > purpose, since they have different speed-efficiency tradeoffs?
>
> And don't they have different features, like WiFi built in?

Nope - at least, my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100) doesn't, it's got
a hermes mini-pci of some flavour on it. Centrino is a different ballgame
from regular mobile processors, from what I understand.

Cheers... Dop.