[nSLUG] no networking

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jan 9 14:38:00 AST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 13:40, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:42:49PM -0400, Dop Ganger wrote:
> > I think that's the situation. It's probably cheaper for Intel to have a
> > mask that has everything enabled and picks out parts that are "good" for
> > different apps, but any chip that doesn't cut the mustard as (say) a P4
> > with HT can be reused as a P4 without HT. I remember that's what they did
> > with 486 SX and DX, and it wouldn't surprise me if that were still the
> > case...

My recollection of 486 DX/SX was not that "good" chips were selected as
being DX's; some chips were just unlucky and got their DX parts dyked
out intentionally for price/marketing reasons only. The Jargon file tell
a story of DEC just filling slots with glue and selling X and X+Y
backplanes as different.

However, CPU companies do analysis of chips after the "hard" part of
production.. Ones from the same batch, depending on how much heat they
give off, are sold with different speed ratings. (which is why
overclocking works, to a point... You can over (or under) clock within a
range of speeds with little fear;)

>  That seems a little unlikely: don't they have to make laptop chips on
> purpose, since they have different speed-efficiency tradeoffs?

And don't they have different features, like WiFi built in?