[nSLUG] Questions

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Jan 9 14:08:30 AST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:40:26AM -0400, Daryl MacDonald wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> Been reading the messages for awhile now and have just recently taken
> the plunge into the world of Linux and I have a couple of questions.

> Second off and this one has me puzzled. I have installed Mandrake 9.1, I
> have an M810 motherboard using the onboard sound which shows up as an
> SiS 7018 PCI audio and is using the trident drivers. It works fine under
> Win2000 and worked the first time I booted into Mandrake and then the
> next time I rebooted, after not making any changes, the sound has
> stopped working. On boot it does show the ALSA module starting and says
> it is okay. Seeing as how everything else works, I can live without
> sound but it would make things much nicer.

 Alsa's default volume settings are all zero, and all muted.  Run alsamixer
and unmute the PCM and master channels (if needed), and set their volume
controls to most of the way up.  Ther might be a bug in Mandrake's bootup or
shutdown scripts, if it tries to save the mixer settings, but ends up saving
all-zeros, and that's what gets loaded at next boot.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)