[nSLUG] Questions

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Fri Jan 9 14:05:54 AST 2004

The group is called WAUUGA.  Wolfville Area Unix Users and
Geeks Association.

http://www.bignose.ca/wauuga/

We meet every three weeks.  Join the mailing list
to be advised of last minute changes on where we
are meeting.  The traffic is very low so it won't
hurt your inbox or 56K modem if that is what you use.

Regarding ALSA - the problem is probably that the
sound is muted.  It is strange compared to Windows,
but in Alsa you have to manually set up everything and
even feed it some sunflower seeds every once in awhile.

Run alsamixer.  You will need to select several channels
and do TWO things to enable them: hit M to power it on (duh!)
and then use the arrow key to move the volume.  Be aware
that in Linux, the mixer power needs to be very high before
you will hear anything and many drivers need to be at
around 80% or more before any sound is audible.

If you are running KDE you can use the mixer from there to
put a little applet in your task bar.

The other problem is that you may need to store the sound
settings in a /etc/asound.state so that you can automatically
restore your sound setting on the next login.  To set up
the storage of your settings, use alsactl.  Something like
this should work:

alsactl store 0 > /etc/asound.state

Next week we'll discuss how to eat oatmeal using the Linux method.
Don't assume your body will digest it - we'll be using some
rocks, spruce fir, assorted bacteria, a shoestring and a magnet.

--Donald Teed