[nSLUG] Hyperthreading

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Jan 9 13:54:15 AST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:16:25AM -0400, George N. White III wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Jim Haliburton wrote:
>
> > I believe that the chip set of the motherboard also has to support
> > hyperthreading.  You may have a HT CPU and OS but not support on motherboard.

 That's right.  You do need an HT motherboard.  I wonder why anyone would
make laptops with non-HT motherboards if the CPU supported it, though.

> Say you get HT working -- how much benefit will you see?

 For desktop stuff, think how great it would be for your X server and your X
client to be running simultaneously?  You get the advantages of an SMP
system, except for heavy duty calculations.  Your system will probably
feel faster/more responsive.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)