[OT][nSLUG] Market Rates?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jan 8 22:12:38 AST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Brian May wrote:

> I agree a senior unix admin is worth the money.  I guess I was thinking
> of more on the workstation support side of things.  Although I still think
> the computer industry has out priced itself.  Don't get my wrong I'm a
> software/network designer and the more they want to pay us all the better.
> :)

Yes, the basic workstation support side of things we don't bother with -
that's where you hire the ITI grad ;->

The client I mentioned got myself, a senior Microsoft expert (he's an
editor for Microsoft books on the side) and a database analyst (who saved
their phone records for the last year when the phone system was migrated
to a new system). Needless to say, it wouldn't be anywhere near worthwhile
hiring three people full time for all this, but instead the client got a
full complement of experts available on call for a fraction of the cost it
would be to have them on staff.

Also, don't forget that calling in consultants mean you don't have to pay
for their equipment, office space, phone line, benefits, etc, etc, etc.
Those are some of the hidden costs that people don't realise they save
when they get sticker shock at the price it costs to hire someone like me.

Cheers... Dop.