[OT][nSLUG] Market Rates?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jan 8 21:35:44 AST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Brian May wrote:

> > IMP Solutions prices are usually $150/hr for senior work (servers,
> > networking, high-end application development) and $100/hr for junior work
> > (support, low-end application development).
>
> And we all wonder why companies are outsourcing their support overseas
> to places like India and China.

Not really. One of my clients calculated that they saved about $40K last
year by hiring me on-demand instead of hiring a senior Unix admin. Flying
someone in from India or China for a few days to (say) set up a redundant
mail cluster from scratch is not particularly economic.

Alternatively, you can hire an ITI grad for around $30/hr who will
probably take 10 times as long. Your call, of course.

Cheers... Dop.