[nSLUG] no networking

wes at nerv.tv wes at nerv.tv
Tue Jan 6 16:15:03 AST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:06:57PM -0400, Dop Ganger wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, M Taylor wrote:
>
> > I am running the SMP kernel due it the system being a P4 with hyper
> > threading and my limited (mis)understanding is that later SMP in 2.4
> > kernels makes use of HT. Perhaps I'm wrong.
>
> You need to enable SMP for HT. I don't think it applies to you, but it
> seems like all the latest P4 chips have support for HT according to
> /proc/cpuinfo (eg, my laptop ("Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.50GHz")
> has the ht flag set) but HT doesn't actually work. Not sure what Intel
> were thinking there.

There is some things about the HT bit. Apparently in some of the
kernel traffic the HT flag dosen't indicate a true hyper threading
processor. The mobile P4's in select revisions have hyper threading (I
think its all p4c revisions and up past 2.40ghz for mobile).

Also for running HT look at some of the scheduling patches at
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.0/README

____
pb