[nSLUG] Local connectivity (Was mandrake RPMs/urpmi -- best source?)

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jan 6 16:11:24 AST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:08:03PM +0000, M Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:41:18PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> >
> >  What's Eastlink's uplink speed these days?  I seem to get ~600kB/s down,
> > and ~60kB/s up from/to Dal.  I'm guessing that the upload bandwidth is
> > 512kb/s...  Didn't it used to be better?  At least I can't complain about
> > the download speed :)
>
> I suspect it may be due to attempting to manage p2p traffic, since most
> ISPs that only cater to consumers see to buy/budget for asymmetric
> traffic patterns models that p2p break.

 That's what I thought, too.  Probably explains why they're not prohibiting
p2p...

> Of course I think inteligent consumers should go back to an end-node
> model of Internet rather than the Disney/AOL/Time-Warner model distribution
> model of the way they wished the Internet works, consumers should ask for
> symmetric routing. Crazy thought I know, like when sites has 64 or 128kbps
> symmetric lines (ISDN or Frame Relay) in the good old days.

 I agree.  You'd find http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/digital-imprimatur/
to be a good read...

 Anyway, 512kbps isn't bad, I'm just happy that I'm actually on the Internet
with an essentially static IP, not behind any NAT firewall.  I can use
bittorrent and stuff like that without problems, not to mention running my
own mail server :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)